Here is a list of tips, links and phone numbers that newcomers to Bahrain will find useful. You might want to bookmark these links or print them out for easy reference.
- Have a handful of dinars ready to pay your entry visa fee at the airport
- Bring lots of passport sized photographs
- Carry your CPR card at all times
- Make sure you bring in or airfreight a few personal items in case your house move is delayed
- If there’s a particular food item you absolutely can’t do without, bring it with you, otherwise enjoy sampling the local food
- Buy a mobile phone as there are few public phones in residential areas
- Take your cues from locals and dress appropriately: Women carry a shawl or scarf in case you need to cover up; men check if shorts and t-shirts are acceptable where you’re going
- Take a tour early on to get a sense of the island
- Keep lots of small coins and BD1 notes to hand: Often shops don’t have change
Newspapers and magazines
- Gulf Daily News (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com)
- Bahrain Tribune (http://www.bahraintribune.com)
- Gulf Weekly (http://www.gulfweeklyworldwide.com)
- Bahrain Confidential (http://www.arabianmagazines.com)
- Bahrain This Month (http://www.bahrainthismonth.com)
- Bahrain Traveler (http://www.bhtraveler.com)
- Ohlala! (http://www.wedolotsofthings.com)
- Woman This Month (http://www.womanthismonth.com)
- Bahrain Portal for electronic government services (http://www.e.gov.bh)
- Bahrain International Airport (http://www.bahrainairport.com)
- Bahrain Tourism (http://www.bahraintourism.com)
- Culture Shock! Bahrain: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette, by Harvey & Margaret Tripp (2004).
- Bahrain: The Complete Resident’s Guide, lst Edition, Jashanmal Bookstores (2006).
- Love, Life & Light of Bahrain, a three-book anthology based on the poetry of Qassim Haddad, with photography by Andrew Weaver, Manfred Erber and Mike Hill,
- text by Allison Holmes; Miracle Graphics Publishing & Distribution, Manama, Bahrain.
- Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar (Lonely Planet Regional Guides), by Gordon Robinson and Paul Greenway, Lonely Planet Publications, London (2000).
- Regards Bahrain, by M. Barrault, Editions Michel Heiter, Vesoul, France (2001).
- Now & Then - Bahrain, by J.J. Nowell, Our Earth Series Vol. IV, Zodiac Publishing, Dubai & Miracle Graphics Printing & Publishing, Bahrain (2001).
- Bahrain Hands, Dal Al Warqoon Publishing & Distribution, Manama, Bahrain.
Real estate agents
- Carlton Properties – tel. 1771 6617; http://www.carlton-properties.com
- Century 21 – tel.1721 2000; http://www.century21-bahrain.com
- Cluttons – tel.1758 0558; email
- Grnata Real Estate – tel. 1756 4400; http://www.grnata.com
- New World – tel. 1729 3203; email
- Main number 1788 1881
- Residential & Mobile Helpdesk 1788 1111
- Customer Service Centre 3610 7107
- Orbit 1722 8022
- Showtime 1771 3333
- Abdulrahman Kanoo Int’l School, Salmabad – tel: 1787 5055
- Al Hekma Int’l School, Sanad – tel: 1762 0820
- Al Noor International School, Sitra – tel: 1773 6773
- Arabian Gulf Pearl School, Belad Al Qadeem – tel: 1740 3666
- Bahrain Bayan School, Isa Town – tel: 1768 2227
- Bahrain International School, Juffair – tel: 1772 7828
- British School of Bahrain, Manama – tel: 1771 0878
- Delmon School, Manama – tel: 1771 3483
- Choueifat International School, Amwaj – tel: 1753 1149
- Ecole Francaise de Bahrain, Busaiteen – tel: 1732 3770
- Hawar International School, E. Riffa – tel: 1777 0040
- Ibn Khuldoon National School, Isa Town – tel: 1778 0661
- Japanese School, Saar – tel: 1779 1550
- Modern Knowledge School, Juffair – tel: 1772 7712
- Naseem International School, W. Riffa – tel: 1768 9684
- Nadeen Int’l School, Um Al Hassam – tel: 1772 8886
- Sacred Heart School, Manama – tel: 1723 3441
- Sacred Heart School, Isa Town – tel: 1768 4367
- Shaikha Hessa Girls' School, W. Riffa – tel: 1775 6111
- St Christopher's School, Isa Town – tel: 1778 8108
- St Christopher's School, Budaiya – tel: 1769 1837
- St Christopher's School, Maqaba – tel: 1759 8600
- St Christopher's School, Awali – tel: 1775 0755
- Talents Int’l School, Manama & E Riffa – tel: 1725 2346